IT Contracting Market
From a reader in response to our article ‘Tips for Getting a Good IT Contract Rate’.
How the IT Contracting Market works now:
1. You refuse to set a fixed rate, agent doesn’t put your forward – end of game.
2. You try to up your rate, agent says you have gone elsewhere and puts forward another candidate.
Mid contract …
Client insists you take a 10% rate cut or give notice.
At renewal ….
1. Your moron agent doesn’t return your calls or e-mails.
2. New contract arrives in the post.
3. No-one, client or agent will even discuss it.
4. You refuse to sign. Get another contract and leave on one weeks notice.
5. Two months later the same agent sends you an e-mail about a new contract opportunity.
Honestly the whole IT Contracting market is broken.
90% of the contracts advertised don’t exist.
Agencies and agents are a waste of time with constant spam e-mails and stupid phone calls.
They treat their contractors like BT treat their phone customers, with hidden contempt and loathing.
The market is ripe for a new business model. There are some interesting sparks on the horizon.